上一主題 下一主題
離線丹尼屎

發帖
好友元
閱讀權限
貢獻值
只看樓主 倒序閱讀 使用道具 樓主   發表于: 2010-05-24

Goalkeeper David James eyes Portsmouth manager role

Goalkeeper David James has put himself forward as a candidate to become new Portsmouth manager according to the club's administrator Andrew Andronikou.

"David has expressed an interest in taking the next stage of his career into management," Andronikou told BBC Radio Solent.

"Albeit we believe it has come a bit too early to appoint him as manager."

Avram Grant resigned as Pompey boss on Thursday while James, 39, has completed his playing contract at Fratton Park.

James, could make his first World Cup appearance with England this summer, and Andronikou wants to talk over the vacant manager's role with him before the tournament, even if James may not get the job himself.

"I believe he will have an input into the decision going forward," stated Andronikou.

"I think everyone has an input into what is going to happen, but the David James question is very much core to our decision making."

Since making his professional debut for Watford in 1990, James has also played for Liverpool, Aston Villa, West Ham and Manchester City, but has no previous managerial experience.

In February he waived his right to an automatic one-year contract extension on the South Coast.

The deal would have been triggered after he appeared in 25 games this season but its cost would have added to the club's financial concerns or forced them to drop James before the clause was activated.

Former Pompey skipper Andy Awford believes James is the sort of leader the relegated side need as they prepare for life in the Championship.

"What is needed is somebody who has got a connection to the club, who understands how the football club works," he told BBC Radio Solent.

"It is on its knees at the moment, and someone needs to grab it and bring it back up.

"It is not just a manager needed, a new owner needs to come in and there is an awful long way to go to get the club back to where it needs to be.

"But as a short term, I would have no problems whatsoever with David James becoming Pompey's new manager."

But Linvoy Primus, a Portsmouth player for nine seasons before his retirement in December, is unsure whether his former team-mate is ready to finish his own playing career.

"That would be interesting, I'm sure Jamo would love to do it, whether it is next year or not, I think he enjoys playing too much," he said.

New chief executive David Lampitt begins work at the club on 1 June and Andronikou believes he too will have a big part to play in the appointment.

"It is only right that David Lampitt has input into the decision making," said Andronikou.

"We have always taken a measured approach to the dealing with affairs at the club and we need to make the right decision."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8696625.stm
離線杜菲斯
發帖
好友元
閱讀權限
貢獻值
只看該作者 1  發表于: 2010-05-24
領隊
離線迪基亞
發帖
好友元
閱讀權限